Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Fiasco!


This has been bothering me for quite sometime. I KNOW they made a Jackson Pollack reference on Spongebob Squarepants. . . Or maybe I am ignorant of all the artists who have created art similar to that of the fictious character in the show Spongebob Squarepants.

So let me start from the very beginning...

Art Appreciation: 1st Semester

Mrs. Ferdie...

This woman... is insane. Insanely cool. I loved her class, I just wish I had received a better grade. But, I think I deserved that grade. I am quite the dumbass.

ANYWAY

We learned about a guy named Jackson Pollock, an artist of the 60s. His work had made an impression on me ... his art made me feel something.

Which was strange.

Considering that his art mostly consists of scribbles.

Lots of them... compacted.
Number 13A: Arabesque
Shimmering Substance
  

These are few that I do like. I REALLY like the colors that he used.

So.

Jackson Pollock
Mrs.Ferdie said that he didn't always paint with his paintbrushes. Being the idiot of the class, I thought she was telling me that this man painted with his wiener. Don't think little of me just yet, because there really IS a man that paints with his penis. How do I know this? I stayed up late and saw a guy painting women... with his wiener. If you don't believe me, look it up. I'm sure there's a website for this guy. But, don't expect to see amazing art. I remember his "art" looking like a three year old painted it. And signed it with a wiener stamp.  But!   I'm not talking about WIENER GUY right now, we are discussing the REAL artist, Jackson Pollock.        So, Mrs.Ferdie said that he used random objects, instead of using a paintbrush. He'd use strange things like, broken glass. He died at the age of 44 in an alcohol-related car accident.(Thank you Wikipedia). Now that you just as much as I do, I can continue; And hopefully stay on topic.
In the episode, an artist walks into the Krusty Krab and orders a Krabby Patty. After receiving his patty, he begins to form a masterpiece out his meal. He then walks out of the Krusty Krab leaving his Krabby Patty art plate behind. Squidward then discovers the art and says that it is the work of Fiasco. 
Fiasco
Because I don't feel like remembering, Or, discussing the entire episode. I'll just get to the point. FIASCO'S ART IS SIMILAR TO THAT OF JACKSON POLLOCK'S. FIASCO IS JACKSON POLLOCK IN THE SPONGEBOB UNIVERSE. So why are you making a big deal out of this Shadia? WELL, I'm making a big deal out of this because I cannot find ANY conformation to my theory! Now that I think about it, children watch this show. And I doubt that a child would write and in-depth analysis about a show with a talking sponge. I just want somebody to tell me that they noticed this too. It frustrates me because, I feel like I am over-thinking it. But, if am correct, and I DID catch this nod to the artistic community, I can feel proud of myself. 

And I'll feel like I actually learned something in class.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is a Jackson Pollock reference! There was also a section in Art Wonk magazine which referenced Pollock's Life article claiming he was the greatest American living painter. He even kind of dresses like Pollock. There is another episode where Fiasco destroys one of Squidward's sculptures in a museum and calls it his performance, a reference to Robert Rauchenberg's (a fellow abstract expressionist) Erased deKooning Drawing. I think Fiasco is used as a critique of post-war American artists in the show. And there is like nothing on the internet about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SOO much for helping me confirm this! I was losing my mind over it. I love when they reference educational things on a kids show. c:

      Delete